Haitian Humanitarian Assistance and Relief Team (HHART)
Saving Lives - Improving Communties
HHART stands for Haitian Humanitarian Assistance and Relief Team. HHART missions are supported, organized and led by Rotarians from the Rotary Club of Wasaga Beach, Rotary District 7010 (central Canada).
The Team's primary mission is to provide the lives of poor and disadvantaged people (primarily of Haitian heritage) living near Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic by providing much needed medical, dental and other forms of humanitarian assistance.
Two teams, HHART 8 and HHART 9, will deploy in April/May 2017. These are the 8th and 9th international service missions since HHART was formed in 2011. The Teams will specifically focus on helping the people in the bateys (villages) of Cangrejo, Poncho Mateo, Caraballo, La Union and Severet, and the Cristo Transforma men's shelter located in Severet.
Service activities planned address one of more of the following areas of focus: Disease prevention and treatment, Water and sanitation, Maternal and child health, Basic education and literacy, and Economic and community development. Specific projects include:
- 10 days of medical and dental clinic operations
- Deliver an oral fluoridation program in bateys Cangrejo, Poncho Mateo, La Union and Severet
- Provide immediate access to quality medical testing and treatment to the poor
- Facilitate health and hygiene education for moms and teens
- Open a woman's centre in Batey Cangrejo
- Organize 10 milk and egg feeding programs for poor children and elders
- Distribute 80 pairs of rubber boots and gloves to people who choose to "work" in the Sosua municipal dump as "recyclers"
- Distribute 20 sleeping mattresses to those in need
- Install 20 solar lighting systems in the homes of the poor whose electrical supply is unreliable
- Distribute various clothing items for children, teens and adults in 5 communities
- Upgrade dangerous in-home electrical connections to prevent shock and fire hazards
- Distribute school supplies and colouring books in Cangrejo and other poor outlying communities
- Rehabilitate damaged homes in bateys Cangrejo and La Union
- Establish a community garden in Batey Cangrejo
- Rehabilitate waterworks in Batey Cangrejo
- Resurface the main avenue in Batey Cangrejo to prevent disease
- Refurbish a basketball court
- Support English as a second language training programs
- Provide job application and interview skills mentoring services
- Provide medical and dental assistance to residents of Cristo Transforma Men's Shelter
For more information follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HHART.info.
To inquire about joining or to recommend someone for a HHART mission, contact Rotarian Steve by phone at (705) 444-4012 or by email at steve@HHART.info.
Rotary International promotes Peace through Service. Visit www.Rotary.org to learn more about Rotary.
Donate to HHART - Help Rotary Make a Difference
Donate securely through the PayPal link or send an INTERAC e-Transfer from your online bank account to donate@HHART.info.
Have a HHART - Help Us Help Others
Please support HHART service missions and projects with a cash donation. Proceeds go directly towards HHART operations. Feeding programs cost $50 each; mattresses cost $55 each; goats are $125 each; solar lights are $27 each; laying hens (and feed) are $20 each. Donations via PayPal are collected by the Rotary Club of Wasaga Beach on behalf of all HHART missions.
Thank you very much to those who donate for helping improve the lives of those less fortunate. We appreciate your generosity and your support of HHART!