Haitian Humanitarian Assistance and Relief Team (HHART)
Helping the Disadvantaged - Saving Lives
HHART is an acronym that stands for Haitian Humanitarian Assistance and Relief Team. HHART missions are planned, organized and led by Rotarians from Rotary District 7010 (central Canada). The Team's primary mission is to provide much needed medical, dental and other forms of humanitarian assistance to poor, disadvantaged persons (primarily of Haitian heritage) that live near Puerto Plata in the Dominican Republic. HHART 6 is the Team's sixth mission since it was formed in 2011. HHART 6 will specifically focus on helping the people in the bateys (villages) of Cangrejo, Poncho Mateo, Caraballo, La Union and Sebere, and the Cristo Transforma drug rehab centre located west of Puerto Plata.
Service activities planned for HHART 6 address one of more of the following areas of focus: Disease prevention and treatment, Water and sanitation, Maternal and child health, Basic education and literacy, and Economic and community development. Specific projects include:
- 14 days of medical and dental clinics (50-75 medical and 45 dental patients seen per day)
- Provide immunizations in bateys Cangrejo, Poncho Mateo and Sebere
- Deliver an oral fluoridation program in bateys Cangrejo, Poncho Mateo and Sebere
- Facilitate health and hygiene education for moms and teens
- Sponsor the construction of a new home in one of the planned villages
- Distribute 500 personal hygiene packs
- Organize 14 children's milk and egg feeding programs in poor hamlets and orphanages
- Distribute 80 pairs of rubber boots and gloves to the dump workers
- Distribute 100 sleeping mattresses to those in need
- Distribute various clothing items for children, teens and adults in 5 communities
- Distribute school supplies and colouring books in Cangrejo and other poor outlying communities
- Rehabilitate damaged homes in bateys Cangrejo, Poncho Mateo and Sebere
- Rehabilitate community lavatories and showers in Batey Cangrejo
- Provide livestock (goats and chickens) to the poor
- Create a sustainable internet / wifi hub in Batey Cangrejo
- Create a computer centre in Batey Sebere
- Support English as a second language training programs
- Provide job application and interview skills mentoring services
- Launch several small commercial business ventures
- Provide livestock, cooking materials and recreation equipment to Cristo Transforma Men's Shelter
HHART 6 deploys from Toronto to Puerto Plata on Thursday April 23, 2015 and returns on Friday May 8, 2015. For more information visit www.HHART.info or follow us on Facebook at www.facebook.com/HHART.info. To inquire about joining or to recommend someone for the HHART 6 mission, contact Rotarian Steve by phone at (705) 444-4012 or by email at steve@HHART.info.
Rotary International promotes Peace through Service. Visit www.Rotary.org to learn more about Rotary.
Donate to HHART - Help Rotary Make a Difference
Donate securely through the PayPal link or send an INTERAC e-Transfer from your online bank account to donate@HHART.info.
Have a HHART - Help Us Help Others
Please support HHART service missions and projects with a cash donation. Proceeds received before May 1, 2015 go directly towards HHART 6 operations. We are presently collecting money to fund medical clinics ($2,400 for medicine and medical supplies), dental clinics ($1,200 for dental supplies), construction of a fifth new house ($5,100), installing an community-owned internet wifi hub ($2,000), repairs to homes of community elders ($2,000), 14 children's feeding programs ($1,200), emergency medical treatment fund ($3,000), business development ($2,000), fitness and recreation equipment for a men's shelter ($1,500) and to purchase the following: 100 mattresses ($55each), 10 goats ($125 each), 25 laying hens ($20 each). Donations via PayPal are collected by the Rotary Club of Wasaga Beach & Area on behalf of all HHART teams. For those who choose to contribute, thank you very much for helping improve the lives of those less fortunate. We appreciate your generosity and your support of HHART!
Want to retain or share info about HHART?
Please click on the link below to download information about HHART for future reference or to share with friends and family.
PDF Doc | 1174 KB